It’s finally starting to feel like winter here in Texas. Just a few days ago, I sported shorts and a short sleeve blouse for Christmas Eve. Now it is 40 degrees out. Brrrrrr….. chilly.
After watching The Pioneer Woman this morning, I was inspired to make something warm and comforting for my “cowboy.” So while he was out doing manly things like buying tools, I started looking for a potato soup recipe. What else warms you up better than a little baked potato soup?
All the recipes I pinned on my Pinterest utilized a slow cooker. A hungry man (and woman) can’t wait 5 hours for some deliciousness. After browsing the internet, I settled on one from Cooking Light. Call me a bit of a bandwagon chick, but with the new year coming, I wanted to make some healthier fare. It also only took 20 minutes to make. Perfect!
With a few minor changes, this soup was a home run. I forgot to mention that I tried a different recipe a couple weeks ago from The Neelys. It was an epic fail. It tasted like beer and flour. Huge bleh! My bf is a great sport about my cooking. Even when I make dishes that are completely gross, my bf puts on a happy face and eats every bite as he tells me it’s the best he’s ever had. When he came back from doing his “manly” things, I told him we were having potato soup. He grimaced…lol.
This time though, he didn’t have to put on a happy face. He loved it! I served it up with a side of King’s Hawaiian Bread in lieu of bread bowls. MMM mmmm YUMMY! Enjoy!
Healthy Baked Potato Soup
(Adapted from Cooking Light)
Time: 20 minutes
5 (6-ounce) red potatoes
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup prechopped onion
1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon and a pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
bacon bits (garnish)
1.5 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions (optional)
- Wash potatoes. Pierce potatoes with a fork.
- Microwave potatoes for 13 minutes on high.
- As potato cooks, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk.
- Add milk and flour mixture to pot. Add in 1 1/2 cups milk at the same time.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Peel and discard potato skins. Coarsely mash potatoes into soup.
- Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.
- Add Hawaiian bread on the side. Eat up!